17 June 2009

Aldershot Barracks – 1945 to 1964 updated 10 Feb 13

Formally Luftwaffe Flak Kaserne

1945 map overprinted 1947

1945 to 1947 – 1st British Corps District HQ – disbanded Jun 47

Aug 47 to Jul 48 – 5 Field Squadron part of Royal Engineers 2 Infantry Division later 23 Field Engineer Regiment moved to Gordon Barracks Hameln
Officer Commanding
1947 Maj RWT Britten MC

Sep 47 to Apr 58 – HQ 5th Infantry Brigade – 2nd Infantry Division

May 58 to May 64 – HQ 5th Infantry Brigade – 4th Infantry Division

Sep 47 to Sep 59 – 5 Infantry Brigade Signal Troop later Squadron
Sep 59 to May 64 – 205 Signal Squadron (Infantry Brigade Group) then in 1962 5th Infantry Brigade Group HQ & Signal Squadron
1963-1964 Officer Commanding – Maj DD Raft – RSM WOI S Richings
Squadron moved with the Brigade HQ to Jellalabad Barracks Tidworth to be part of the 3rd Infantry Division

Apr 46 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) from 227th (Highland) Infantry Brigade command Guards Division moved to Brooke Barracks Berlin Dec 49
detached to Berlin Jul 46 to Feb 47 formally 153rd Infantry Brigade command 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division to 6th Infantry Brigade command 2nd Infantry Division Apr 47 to 5th Infantry Brigade Jun 47

Dec 49 1st Battalion Queens Royal (West Surrey) Regiment – Michael Caine’s former unit in 1951 – moved to Malaya and Singapore via UK Nov 53

Nov 53 – 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers moved to York UK Nov 56

May 58 – 5th Field Squadron command HQRE 4 Div supporting 5th Infantry Brigade – moved to Alanbrooke Barracks Paderborn Mar 60 continued to support 5th Infantry Brigade until Jan 64
Officers Commanding Mar 58 Maj JH Page MC 1960 Maj KM Bean

Dec 56 – 1st Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment to Aug 59
Aug 59 – 1st Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment – amalgamated with 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment forming 1st Battalion 1st East Anglian Regiment
Aug 59 – 1st Battalion 1st East Anglian Regiment – moved to Montgomery Barracks Berlin Jan 60
Feb 60 – The Royal Ulster Rifles – moved to Bulford UK Apr 63

May 63 – The Royal Welch Fusiliers – moved to St Georges Barracks Minden May 64

No comments:

Post a Comment